Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Oakland: Runs and Guns

I try to start each entry with happy things. This time it's the fact that the weather in the Bay has been amazing, and that quarter three ends this Friday. Having 75% of the year completed is a pretty good feeling; I go back and forth daily deciding whether the year has passed with a blink of an eye or if this really could be the definition of an eternity. Regardless of my conclusion, it seems that life continues to pass at an undeniable warp speed, and this weekend, with health reform all in the news, I think I am starting to understand why.

The social work that is teaching puts such a relevant twist on most everything in state and national politics, that I am trying to absorb everything that is thrown my way. My conclusions? It is quite a chore to be an active an informed citizen, and it is incredibly overwhelming to learn exactly how (poorly) this country runs. I suppose that is a natural reaction when going from ignorance to overexposure in a matter of six months.

Okay, too much deep reflective thought. Back to happy things. The Oakland Running Festival is this weekend and I will be participating in the half-marathon; although I still have not come to a conclusion as to how it makes sense that I must pay a fee of $90 to put my body through so much pain. Actually I did run seven miles yesterday in 53 minutes, so I am hoping I can finish the event on Sunday under two hours. Other happy things? I scored two goals in our soccer game this past weekend, and we won 4-3. That was nice.

Unhappy things now. My roommate's Oakland middle school had a drive-by shooting yesterday. Six shots, and one kid, who I guess was a former student or a dropout from the school went to the hospital after getting hit in the legs. The worst part about it was that my roommate's classroom has windows to that side of the school and his students ran to the window and pretty much saw the whole thing. For the first time I am glad my classroom does not have windows.

Not only that, but yesterday, a teacher at my school had a conversation with me about how she is leaving to go to a better organized charter school in the district. She is an amazing English teacher and has been my mental support system all year, so another year at Richmond High seems a little grim without her across the hall. The conversation made me wonder on the drive home from school what it would be like to teach at a high-performing school instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment