Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Dwindling Ignorance of Summer

I am back from my hiking expedition, and I am currently writing a post (or a few) about the experience, but in the meantime I opened my million missed emails and came across one that I just had to share. In the relaxing state of summer I forgot just how much the organization of the United Teachers of Richmond angered me, but I think you'll understand how it all came flooding back.

For some brief background on the subject, our contract for this year has been stripped down to the bare bones. We already experienced the mess of getting our benefits eliminated for spouses and children, and we already tried to go on strike about a thousand times to no avail. Needless to say, our union reps are pissed, but I think their anger is interfering with their common sense. They recently organized a survey about the elimination of our contractual work day before the first day of school and here is the one question on the survey:

Our contractual work year begins August 24th. It has come to the Association's attention that some Principals have now found funds to entice their staffs to return to their assignments early at a "discounted rate" or for no compensation. The negotiated work year is 180 days-not 181. This is an issue of integrity and respect.

It's the perfect opportunity for an organized and empowered membership to make a statement and choose not to return to their assignments paid or not until your contractual work year begins.

Your voice is important so on behalf of the United Teachers of Richmond Executive Board, please complete the survey below and return by Wednesday, August 11th at 3:00 p.m.


___ I choose not to return to my assignment prior to when my contractual work year begins on August 24th.

___ I have been strongly encouraged to return to my assignment and I will not return prior to when my contractual work year begins on August 24th.

_X_ I will return to my assignment prior to when my contractual work year begins on August 24th.

___ Unity is our strength and I will not return to my assignment prior to when my contractual work year begins on August 24th.
Now which answer do you think they would prefer me give? This is pretty much what they do every time they "want our voices heard," not to mention the fact that three of these answers are saying very similar versions of the same thing. I understand their opinion but it is quite clear that these UTR reps are not now teachers, because there is absolutely no way I could go into school for the first time in three months on the first day of school and be ready. I feel bad for the some 25% of our staff that is new and haven't yet met any of their supporting staff; for their sake, I hope people show up the day before school begins, even if it's unpaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment