Saturday, October 2, 2010

Movie Review

Let me begin by saying that I have cried in more than a couple movies before, and on many an occasion I have sat down to watch a movie (or "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition") for the sole purpose of having a good cry. I think it's safe to say that the latter half of that is a more recent development since beginning my line of work.

That being said, I have never cried so much in a movie as in the last 20 minutes of "Waiting for Superman." Given, even the trailer for the movie made my eyes a little watery, so I'd be interested to hear how other people take the movie. For me anyway, it was just a brilliant collection of awfully real stories; ones that hit very close to home to the community I visit every day. In addition to being incredibly emotionally charged, it does make quite a few harsh statements about teachers' unions, so be ready for that when you see it. However, given my experience with our own United Teachers of Richmond, I wholeheartedly take the writers' side and continue to wonder how the idea of tenure for teachers has not been revised from its ridiculousness.

A lot of articles against the movie's stance speak about how the film suggests that charters are the way to save the education system - but these people don't realize that the movie is just showing how the charter school system is just a band-aid for a broken public education system. The movie even says that only one in five charters are considered successful by the same standards. The only reason why charters seem like the protagonist in the movie compared to the teachers union antagonist is because charters are these kids' and families' only other options from their local failing schools.

I walked out of the theater wondering if I would have been as moved by the production if I were doing something completely different in my life. I hope so. I know that the movie can make those who care care even more, but the question is that if it can make ignorant people care enough for something to be done.

Unfortunately though, as with real life, the film has no happily-ever-after ending, so it was nice to see Washington beat USC in football again to restore happiness in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment