Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mixed Feelings Today

I'm coming off of an emotional high from a couple awesome things that have given this week a great start - like regular RHS soccer practices starting and my role as assistant coach (or head JV coach? ...it's unclear), in addition to our 9th grade recognition/awards ceremony we organized yesterday that was so incredible. It's a great feeling when you realize that your students actually do care about their teachers. I say that because I thought this awards ceremony was going to be a disaster (if I can barely handle 38 kids in one room, how would I be able to handle 132 at once?), but everyone was super positive and excited to be recognized by their teachers for things like exceptional grades, preparedness for college, and excellent attendance.

Today however, was the emotional crash that always follows. I just wonder how it's possible for students to be absolute angels one day and, for lack of a better word, demons the next. I think Algebra will be much better as soon as we get out of this unit (fractions and percents each day means I get to hear bitching and moaning each day). I still maintain that I want to meet the teacher that taught these students fractions and slap him or her in the face, because somebody deserves it.

Today also marked the resurrection of a very depressing chain of events; the Richmond High gang rape trial is finally under way, and I don't know how widespread it will get, but the details are just plain awful. Before, everything was speculation and rumor, but these hourly-updated feeds from the trial remind me of the things that led the only time I have ever cried at school. If you would like more perspective on the type of things this community has to deal with, articles and news coverage about the trial can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment