Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Iminent Disaster

I spent forever trying to make a clever play on words for the two impending strikes soon to take place in the Bay, but I gave up on baseball inuendos. Both the BART strike and the Union Teachers of Richmond strike have been called off for a while, but the possibilities of each are doing all to make my life more stressful than it needs to be right now.

Tomorrow I go to new teacher orientation, in hopes of finding someone at my school who could help me out in the event that rapid transit chooses to shut down; I also meet all the people making up the future picket line that I may have to cross in order to make money this September. The good news is that the UTR strike is called off for now; the bad news is that most veterans to the district expect it to go on after school starts - and after I have met all my students. The district has slashed its funds going to employee benefits, only pinching people like me but devastating people whose entire household is reliant on those benefits. I see a rock and the hard place approaching. The Bay Bridge is closing all Labor Day week too, so let's just hope the planets aren't aligned - otherwise it may all happen at the same time.

Today was a session for our "Academies" at Richmond High School, something like interest groups or career paths in high school where a chunk of the student body learns under the direction of a group of teachers. I can see it being a good thing, guiding students to college and career interests. Although, I'm in the Law Academy, so apparently no prior knowledge is required... Agh! Disorganization!

No comments:

Post a Comment