Friday, August 14, 2009

Transitioning

Oh, where to start... We only recently got internet set up in our apartment, so I know my updates have been lacking. The four weeks of teaching summer school at Hamilton High are long gone now and today marked the end of the additional two weeks of class my students had after I left. The good news: one of my students messaged me on Facebook that he received two B grades from my class; the bad news: I have multiple students that have found me on Facebook.

Amidst the mess of my room right now (no surprise there) I uncovered the exit surveys we gave to our students on our last day of teaching this summer, asking questions like how they think we did as teachers. Needless to say, the secret that we were new teachers was uncovered a long time ago by our students. The stack of papers is definitely a self-esteem booster, but I find it strange that even the handful of failing students said I was a clear and effective teacher and ranked me a 9 out of 10 as a teacher. Still, there's a handful of responses that I think I'll put up on a self-motivation bulletin board that I'll probably create:
"10 - Mr. Bretl is cool and looks alot like Tom Cruise..."
"I would want him to teach my friends because he's a wonderful, and great teacher, he can brighten a dull room."
"He is really chill and he explain things with time I'll give him a 9."
"It would be great if he could teach here, Because he is calm and patient, thats always good in a teacher; because you'll confront alot of hard-head stundents. But on the other hand I think your a great instructor. Thanks for all the help. 10."

The week at home following that experience was nice, staying for a friend's wedding (first close friend to get married) made the transition brutal once again. I made the drive from Seattle to Oakland - 14 hours - the morning after the wedding in my buddy Mitch's car. I didn't really have a plan as to how to get back down to the Bay with all my stuff, so long story short, I learned how to drive a manual transmission car in less than a week and packed the convertible the tightest it has probably ever been packed. And still, I forgot things. One thing I did learn from the experience, however, is that 5 Hour Energy really does work. The trip was a breeze, all things considering.

So anyway, home is where the crapload of belongings are - which is Oakland right now, and will be for a while. My beautiful* apartment is located a few blocks from both Lake Merritt and the nearest BART station, though I haven't ridden it yet. More on this to come!


*beauty is in the eye of the beholder

No comments:

Post a Comment