Monday, January 25, 2010

Let's be honest, this is a procrastination post.

I got back from credentialing class today at 8:30pm, with planning still to do for tomorrow, but my energy is boosted by some comments from my classmates. Upon introductions to my newest table group in class, my group-mates agreed that I "have a ticket to heaven for teaching at Richmond High," which makes me laugh, because it's really not that bad. I firmly believe that even if I had taught at my own high school, there would be an entirely different group of stressors that would contribute to my life being just as pleasant. Of course, the magnitude and seriousness of those stressors my differ widely.

After working through a logic exercise today in class, too, my table partner said that I could get such a better job, and should apply to Chevron based on how I answer the logic problems. It's definitely interesting how people believe that jobs such as teaching at Richmond High are at the bottom of the totem pole as far as teaching goes. It makes you wonder what quantifies the "best" high school teaching job: an "easier" one with high performing students predisposed to going to college, or a more challenging one with lower performing students and a much bigger potential impact (in my first year, that 'potential' word is key...). But I suppose it would be nice not having to lose your temper in Algebra once a week...

If nothing else, the craziness has forced me to explicitly identify any "me-time" that I have set aside for myself. Recently this me-time has taken shape in the kitchen, and my newest Costco membership has only bolstered that. Sunday morning was pancakes AND waffles, and Sunday night I made "Salmon Fillets in Red Wine" for five, courtesy of the cookbook I have recently been poring through. Next on the menu is "Pan-Seared Steak with Red Wine Sauce." As you can see, the current trend is any dish that gives me an excuse to finish a bottle of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment